~ Join us on a journey of passion and adventure ~

Monday, April 24, 2006

Chapter Two Update.

I have approximately 1,000 words left to conclude this chapter. What a struggle I am having!

Firstly my hero and heroine tried misbehaving by wanting to kiss too soon. No way was I going to let them go there. No way! I know from past experience that once they do, I have trouble getting them to take off their rose-tinted glasses. That is a sure-fire way to another rejection. "...We don't feel your characters have enough conflict..." blah... blah... blah.... Been there. Done that. And received the rejection(s)!

Well, I hope I have successfully sorted that problem out. I was generous enough to let them both feel the anticipation and sexual tension of what it would be like to kiss... but that kiss was never gonna happen. Not in MY book! I have cruelly left them both believing their paths will never cross again...

Now for the next problem... I have come to the point where I need to introduce a medical dilemma - after all this IS a medical romance. I am now discovering what a nuisance it is to have to stop writing in order to research. I have tried leaving large glaring letters in my manuscript saying ***RESEARCH REQUIRED***, with the intention of leaving it to continue with the writing, and come back to it later. No can do. Don't ask me why, but my brain is refusing to move on. (Hmmm... I think I could be having some character retaliation from my treatment of them earlier. They are refusing to cooperate.)

So, what now? Procrastination... No, I am going to fight it. I MUST get on with the research. Does anyone have any pointers to the right direction for finding a paediatric emergency, which would require the consultant to be paged? Any tips gratefully received; otherwise I feel I could be googling for hours!

6 comments:

Sharon J said...

What about Febrile Seizures? You can read about it here. Or how about a child that's been involved in a serious motoring accident? If I'm in the flow, I leave the research until later, which explains why I can write 2,000 words one day but only 200 the next. While it sounds as if I didn't do very much, I've spent ages finding information, sorting it and deciding on the bits I'm going to use.

I do understand that it can be difficult to move on and leave it until later, though. Coming back to it was something I had to learn. I do the same with sentences that don't read well or words I can't find. I just mark them and go back to them when I've run out of steam.

It's a good job you managed to control your couple. Sometimes mine are so determined to have their own way that I have no choice other than to go back and re-write the bit I fought with them about. Is it any wonder 'normal' people think writers are mad?

Sue aka MsCreativity said...

Thanks for coming to the rescue Sharon. You're gonna brain me when you read my next post though...

LOL! It's wonderful to talk to other writers who understand what I'm talking about. Maybe we can start to believe that we're the 'normal' ones. :-)

Sue aka MsCreativity said...

Ps. Your link re. Febrile Seizures hasn't worked for me. :-/

Kate Hardy said...

I'd suggest getting hold of the Oxford Handbooks (Clinical Specialties has a good section on paeds) - they're used by junior doctors (as well as M&B Meds authors, vbg).

There's also a good site at e-medicine - http://www.emedicine.com/ - but remember it's a US site so you'll need to check details against a UK one. Great Ormond Street Hospital (can't remember link) has some good factsheets for parents you might find useful.

Hope helps!

C. H. Green said...

I'm a new writer, and I have found it helpful to talk to friends in the profession. I was stuck on criminal law matters. Luckily I have a friend who is a sheriff, who could answer all but my most complicated questions. And I, too, think it's great that blogs allow us to converse with other writers on such an intimate level. It helps to have this support group.

Sue aka MsCreativity said...

Kate: Thanks for your advice. It helps loads :-)

C.H.: Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog. I think I need to go and make some friends in the medical profession... :-)