~ Join us on a journey of passion and adventure ~

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Tears and Tantrums

It’s been a busy week, and I am exhausted. Writing always drains me. It always has. Especially when I am writing emotionally. I’d forgotten quite how much the emotions of my characters take a hold over me.

Chapter 1 was fine. It has conflict, but not involved conflict: Distant conflict.
Chapter 2 I loved. My characters made me feel a little of their pain, their anger, the unjustness of life, along with the stirrings of sexual attraction.

Now comes the beginning of an emotional rollercoaster. Before I can truly connect with Chapter 3, I have to get to know who my characters really are. I can’t avoid it any longer. And it hurts. Both my characters are bringing with them emotional ‘baggage’. In order to convey it accurately, I have to live through their pain.

In order to ‘set the scene’ I find I have to immerse myself in the relevant mood. Chapter 2 involved a lot of anger. What worked for me on that occasion was Alanis Morissette’s Jagged Little Pill. My goodness, that girl was angry when she recorded those tracks! I loved it. (My children knew to stay away from me when they heard me listening to it, lol!)

Today, I am trying to connect with the pain in my hero’s life. To get me in the mood I am watching Everwood. I first watched this series on ITV1 last year. I loved it so much that I ordered the series (very cheaply) on DVD from America. I’ve owned it for over six months, but today it the first time I’ve watched it. It’s perfect. It is packed full of emotion.

Fortunately, I have a rare day of having the house to myself until at least 10pm. Just as well. Nearly every episode, on more than one occasion has me sobbing my heart out! I am beginning to understand exactly what my hero has been through, and is still going through emotionally (Of course, my plot is nothing like the same, but the emotions they feel are similar). I only wish I could let my heroine in on the secret sooner rather than later. .

I think I’m falling in love…

Ps. what works to get you in the appropriate mood for writing? Music, TV, film…?

7 comments:

Jade said...

I love your blog site! It's SO nice to be reminded that other writers go through the same ups and downs that I do :-)

Have a great day!

Jade

Sue aka MsCreativity said...

Hi Jade! Glad you love the blog. It's wonderful to know that we aren't alone in our struggles, isn't it?

Julie S said...

Thanks for visiting my blog!

You're so right about the emotional rollercoaster aspect of bringing characters to life. It gets to a point where you're dealing with "real" people, and living vicariously through them.

And, in answer to your question, music is key for getting me "in the mood"!

Peggy said...

Movies/TV definitely get me in the mood. Nothing can bring me to tears faster than a tear-jerker. Music works best when I need to write something happy, upbeat. But most importantly, I need no distractions. Isn't it awful when you're deep in an emotional or sexual scene, and the kids come charging into the office??

Stacy Dawn said...

Reading helps me get in the mood to write because I want it to be my book LOL. But a good movie helps me connect to where my character is.

Karen Erickson said...

Funny, I just blogged about music. I can get really wrapped up in music while I write. And I'm with Stacy about reading. I read, think, "that was really good. I need to go write something now so I can get pub'd too!" And then I'm off.

It is nice to be able to share our weird little habits with fellow writers, huh????? :)

April said...

I think almost anything gets me in the mood. Music, movies, books... Sometimes even a magazine article.

But I do find that movies and music sometimes have a little more pull. Of course, I'm known for my boo-hoo problems too with movies. I cried through most of Finding Nemo even. I'm such a sap!