~ Join us on a journey of passion and adventure ~

Monday, May 08, 2006

Back to earth with a BUMP!

Last week I was up to my ears in medical research. I was finding it tougher than I'd imagined it would be. I discovered message boards from real women who had gone through the experience I was attempting to recreate.

Some were heartbreaking, others had positive outcomes. They were all tough reading. Suddenly I had to ask myself if I was doing the right thing, creating a fictional scene, when these women had lived through the trauma for real?

Friday, an elderly neighbour who I hadn't seen in a while dropped in for a chat. She began telling me about her daughter's recent experience about having to give birth by emergency c-section a few weeks back.

Coincidence? That was the scene I was currently struggling to write. Or a timely warning that these experiences are happening every day in the real world, to real women, and need to be tackled with extra care and empathy?

Suddenly my fiction world has become all too real...

7 comments:

Mansoor Qaisar said...

looking nice.........
keep it..nice blog!!!!!!!!

Mr Angry said...

It all depends how you use "real" elements in fiction. A well told story can often help people deal with a difficult stage in their own life. I say so long as you are telling the story with integrity and not cheapening the suffering of real people - go for it.

Sharon J said...

Isn't it sort of like when you buy a new car? You never noticed all those bright blue Peugeots on the road until you bought one, did you? Not that I'm saying you drive a bright blue Peugeot - just using that as an example. It has to be better than a black Renault. I hate my black Renault! Off I go... rambling again!

Err.. yeah, I think it's just a matter of noticing things more when you have reason to. But I wouldn't worry about creating fiction out of something that lots of people have experienced, even if the experiences were bad. I have a mentally handicapped son but I don't get upset when I read fiction that includes somebody who's in some way retarded. It's just part of life. Remember the thing on my blog about perfection? Life isn't, is it?

Absolutely everybody will have experienced something that's hurt them at some point in their lives so if we were to avoid writing fiction about anything that might touch a sore spot, we wouldn't be left with much, would we?

Good to hear you're cracking on with the research, though. I've often wondered whether I should try meds being as I've spent so much time in hospital both with my son and my own medical problems, but would you believe that I've never actually read one? Must remedy that :)

Phew! I need a break after that lot!

Eva said...

Chalk it up to Providence, MsCreativity. Maybe you are meant to write about this subject.

Welcome back!

Karen Erickson said...

I'm with Sharon - you never notice all of those bright blue Peugeots until you're driving one. Same with scary c-sections. You never realize how many are going on til you start focusing on them. They happen a lot more than we think...

Hope your book is coming along!

Stacy Dawn said...

It's all true. And it is in how you write it. With all the research you've been doing, I'm sure you now have a better angle on it and can do it justice. Go get 'em!

Sue aka MsCreativity said...

Thanks everyone!

I feel I'm 'meant' to write medical, even though the research is tough.

I have multiple sclerosis and I don't get upset when I read about the condition in fiction. It is good to be given the chance to give readers awareness of various medical conditions.

Another thing that is driving me to write medicals is that I can at least create sympathetic and caring doctors, which I have to say can prove to be rare gems to find in real life.