~ Join us on a journey of passion and adventure ~

Thursday, June 01, 2006

It's All Still There!!

As I write this, I'm letting out a HUGE sigh of relief. I've added just over 500 words to my mss.

I know that's not much to shout about, but it's a major achievement for me. Both characters seem to be co-operating. I could sit and right a load more, but I'm enjoying that all too rare feeling of knowing that when I next have some 'Sacred Writing Time', it's all there waiting and ready to flow.

Jacqui's advice is speaking in loud volumes to me, and when I practise it, it works! Okay, I'm not yet achieving the 1,000 words a day, but I know I will. Here are my writing excuses for yesterday: (yes, I really did write a list like Jacqui advises us to do!)

1. I need to finish cross-stich for Mother-in-law's 60th Birthday card.
2. I need to make a special card for my friend who has just had a gorgeous baby boy.
3. I need to spend time on the phone with my mum, reading a chapter from 'The Power of Now' by Eckhart Tolle.

I wrote that list at 10am yesterday morning. I decided to dedicate the hour between 11am and 12pm as my 'Sacred Writing Time'. Guess what happened? DD phoned from college at 11.20am to tell me she'd finished her art exam. If I collect her (a 20 min drive away) she offered to help me get the food shopping done and promised she would spend the next two days helping me at home.

Now, it's not often I get an offer like that! I haven't been out the house in over two weeks, and I've not driven for even longer. I had to make myself go. Also, it was nice to have the opportunity to spend some time with DD (DS is at his dad's for the half term week).

Not only did we do the week's shopping but I took her to see the outside of our new house. As luck would have it, the lady from the Agents was there overseeing the new kitchen being designed and installed, so I was able to show Charlotte around. (More on that later...)

By the time we got home (I treated us to lunch out too) it was nearly 6pm and I'd overdone things. I had to accept that I just wasn't going to manage any writing.

How did you get on?

9 comments:

Stacy Dawn said...

Now things like that are worth the interruption because they are few and far between. Sounds like you had a great day.

I'm loving Jacqui's course, thanks again for the info.

Keasty said...

Well MsCreativity, I'm interested in keeping in touch with you. I'm maybe a frustrated author.... wanting to publish... something...

I reckon having the hr from 11am to noon just to write, could work out well, depending on your personality. But if you do schedule that hr, make sure you take the phone off the hook! There will be plenty of temptations and intrusions to keep you from your task!
Good luck. I'll keep in touch.

Sue aka MsCreativity said...

Stacey you are so right. The weird thing to get used to when your babies become teenagers, is that they really do have their own, often busy, lives.

Glad you're enjoying Jacqui's course. I am too.

Sue aka MsCreativity said...

Welcome Keasty :-). I think all authors feel frustrated - there's just never enough hours in the day!

Thanks for your good wishes.

Eva said...

Good for you, MsCreativity. I used to think I needed a great block of time in which to write - those were the days! Now I try to squeeze it in whenever possible.

Jade said...

500 words is great! Better than none...that's my philsophy! :-)

~Jade~

April said...

Woo hoo on getting some writing done. Especially with all the other stuff you did. And how exciting on the house!

Sharon J said...

Guess what? I'm back writing again, too! A big row with the other half seems to have sparked it off.

Sue aka MsCreativity said...

Eva: It feels good being able to turn any spare minute into writing time. When I didn't have the luxury of writing time stretching in front of me, I was more prone to procrastinate. Now, I'm learning to focus on the writing, any time, anywhere.

Thanks Jade - I love your philosophy! :-)

April, thanks. I'm now actually feeling excited about the house. I can't wait.

Sharon: Welcome back!! I've missed you. Sorry to hear about the big row (though I'm glad you're writing again).