~ Join us on a journey of passion and adventure ~

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Blogging - in moderation!

As usual, I've been doing loads of thinking - about writing; about not writing; about blogging; about not blogging. I've been going round in circles for days and I've now thankfully come to the conclusion that blogging is a wonderful thing.

I agree with April that there comes a time in every writer's life when they need to cut back on the time they spend blogging and blog hopping and do some actual writing.

While this may not be what we want to hear, listen up - I've discovered that it is possible to cut back on these indulgences, without foregoing them in their entirety.

I admit that more often than not blog hopping has become a form of procrastination for me. I fire up my computer with every intention of writing, but I'm drawn to first checking my email for comments that may have been made on my posts, and then this is followed by checking to see if bloggers have left comments on my comments, by which time blogging's pulled me in until I can't leave blog land no matter how hard I try!

So, what's a writer to do? Well, my answer is this: Most things are okay in moderation. Firstly, admit to yourself that you have a problem and then share it with everybody else.

I'll begin: I am a blog addict.

Now, feel the palpitations as you come out of the closet - they're a sign of recovery. Okay, I may be shaking a little, but the hardest part is over. Yes, I have an addiction (my kids have been telling me so for months, but that didn't help). Addicts need to figure out for themselves that they have a problem. Only then can they begin to recover.

It may be argued that the only way to recovery from any addiction is to go cold turkey (i.e. never read or write another blog post again.). Before you (or I) go into complete breakdown, I really don't feel this is the answer for blog addicts. Really. In our case cold turkey isn't the answer. Moderation however, is.

By all means let's read our emails/comments before we do any writing. But then we must agree to stop there - for now. We then go and do some writing. Only when we've done some writing can we come back and treat ourselves with either blogging or blog-hopping. One or the other. Not both. Set a timer for no longer than an hour. Then go back and do some more writing. You get the picture?

Little by little blogging will become a treat we can look forward to. Not an addiction. We will be in control. And control feels good. If you argue that blogging already feels good, you wait until you're in control of it; it feels more than good, it feels great!

Imagine a world of blogging without the guilt! Blogging really can become guiltless - but only if we take control.

So, is anyone with me on this?

6 comments:

Karen Erickson said...

I love this cos it's so true! I've gotten better - I used to let this blog surfing thing go on and on. But now I'm a little more disciplined. But it's hard! The Internet in general is damn distracting.

You go girl! You can do it. ;)

Melissa Marsh said...

Sometimes I really get in the mood to go blog-hopping and check out other people's blogs - and THAT'S when I get in trouble! I could do that for hours! If I stick to my blogroll, though, I'm usually done in half an hour. But I admit - I periodically check my blog for comments through the day. Why IS that???

Lynette said...

I'm also finding blogging is becoming addictive! Not so much writing my own -- I wish I could write in it every day, but I forget. It's more that I keep visiting everyone else's!

Having said that, I've got some great info from them regarding the publishing world, etc., and sometimes they actually motivate me to write an article or inspire me with my own work in progress in some way.

So I suppose 'all that wasted time' isn't really a waste if we learn something new or it motivates us with regards to our own writing. :)

So don't feel guilty. Look on it as a little bit of down time, to recharge and rejuvenate yourself.

Hugs,

Lynette

Annie said...

Sorry, can't stop, got to go blog hopping - I mean, writing.

April said...

I've learned a lot from my fellow writers who blog, so I can't give it up. It's fun and educational. Boy, that doesn't sound like such a great endorsement, does it?

But I definately have to cut back. I'm like a junkie! One blog leads to another to another to another and before you know it, the three hours I reserved for writing are gone!

Moderation. I have to practice moderation.

Good luck!!

Jacqui D. said...

I too am a blog addict.

I have been blogging for almost 4 years using various blog tools, for private pleasure, for work, I can find any number of reasons to visit any number of blogs during the day...which can be good or bad since it takes HOURS to read all my favourites, and by that time it's hometime and I haven't done anything or I want to write but need to just visit to see who said what since last night...:D

blogging rocks! :D But I'm afraid my control just left me when I clicked the Comments link here!

Cheers