~ Join us on a journey of passion and adventure ~

Saturday, August 12, 2006

My Real Life Hero

Today is a very special day for me - hubby and I are celebrating our first wedding anniversary. My health dictates that we won't be going out to mark the occasion, not tonight anyway. Instead we’ll be celebrating in a few weeks time (health or no health!) DH is taking me to London to see Patrick Swayze in the West-end musical Guys and Dolls! I’ll post more on Patrick Swayze another time, because I think he deserves a post of his own.

However, I digress; let me get back to my real life hero. To be truthful, I am still stunned when I think about how lucky I am. It’s amazing that DH and I ever found each other, let alone that we were both brave enough to believe in what we have, and marry. Without divulging too much info, ours isn’t the first relationship I’ve ever taken a chance on. I’ve been ‘in love’ before, as has DH, but I have the emotional scars to prove it.

This is what makes my DH even more special. He’s had to work harder than most would be willing to do. I believe in happy ever after – in fiction. I’m a romance writer for goodness’ sake, so of course I do. But in real life? That’s a whole other story.

DH has changed all that. A year ago, I took a deep breath and threw myself into our marriage. And you know what? I finally believe there can be a happy ever after in real life too.

Nothing about our relationship has ever been conventional. When I think about the problems we’ve had to overcome in our first few years together, it’s a miracle we’ve survived.

Very slowly, things are settling down, and our relationship is going from strength to strength. The great news is a year on, and our honeymoon is only just beginning!

I’m now lucky enough to be living the life I’ve always dreamed of: Happy ever after with the man of my dreams.

8 comments:

Lynette said...

A huge congrats on your first wedding anniversary!

Hope you enjoy Guys and Dolls in a few weeks time. Patrick Swayze is such a nice guy.

Hugs,

Lynette

Melissa Marsh said...

Congratulations on your first wedding anniversary! What a wonderful post. Sounds like your DH is very blessed to have you in his life, too!

Karen Erickson said...

Congratulations! Your blog is so sweet - I can really see the love you have for him. I'm glad you two found each other - everyone deserves happiness in this world.

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Kate Hardy said...

Happy anniversary, Sue!

And - catching up with previous posts - hope you're feeling better now.

Jacqui D. said...

oh - Congratulations! :D
I feel about my man the same way you must feel about yours...there really is a happily ever after!

I hope you have a wonderful time with Patrick ----oh and your husband too *BG* I hope you are feeling at least a little better by then. My thoughts are with you.
*hugs*

Jade said...

You've been tagged! Check out my blog for details! :-)

~JADE~

Devon Ellington said...

That's great. Happy Anniversary! It's always better when both parties really work for it, isn't it? Too many relationships are unblanced with one party or the other putting in the bulk of the work.

May you have many years of happiness and love together!

Sue aka MsCreativity said...

Thanks for all your congratulations and kind words.

I'm praying the numbness will be gone in time for my Swayze experience. I've got a feeling I might come away with inspiration for my next hero ;-)

Sue :-)