~ Join us on a journey of passion and adventure ~

Saturday, October 21, 2006

My New Hobby - Collecting People

The other day Sharon posted a valuable tip that is useful for any type of writer, published or not. Sharon explains that she has a file where she keeps a list of everybody she knows with a note of their past or current experiences, who could one day become precious contacts for research purposes.

What an inspired idea! As a result, Caroline suggested to Sharon that she should tag five other writers to share their experiences, who could then tag other writers, and before we know it we'll all have possible contacts we can use when we need to research.

Great idea or what?!

Here's my contribution to the list (five things that aren't known to everybody):

* I have (as some of you already know) multiple sclerosis *

* I've worked as a unified grade in H M Prison Service - (one of the UK's top security men's prisons.) *

* I've been divorced TWICE *

* I could've died two weeks after having my first baby - I had a retained placenta that wasn't dealt with at the time of the birth. *

* I'm a Christian who doesn't do 'religion' *


I'm now going to ask April, Stacy, Karen, Magnolia , the three Scribes, Melissa and Gray to join the list.

Message from Sharon:

"PLEASE LEAVE THE FOLLOWING IN ALL ‘PEOPLE COLLECTION’ POSTS:

Remember that it isn’t always the sensational stuff that writers are looking for, it can just as easily be something that you take for granted like having raised twins or knowing how to grow beetroot. Mind you, if you know how to fly a helicopter or have worked as a film extra, do feel free to let the rest of us know about it :-)
"

May I also add to that - if there are any doctors or midwives out there (including students), please let me know ;-)

Edited 25th October:
From Gray:
Hello Guys,

Apologies for the delay in responding - I've been ill in bed since the weekend before last (yes, I know, no excuse but...).

Here are my five things:

1) I'm a collector. Films and books are my weakness. Our home is overflowing with bookshelves and books, the tattier the better. I've watched about 3000 movies over the past decade and I still have 300 sitting here unwatched. I guess it goes without saying that I have an encyclopaedic knowledge of movies and books - usually the trashy ones.

2) I have a good understanding of what it's like to live with somebody with a disability. My father suffers from clinical depression (and has done since before I was born) and both my mother and Sue have M.S.

3) I'm no stranger to the operating theatre - I bear three scars from fairly major operations. The worst of these is from when I had something called pyloric stenosis as a baby - where the stomach muscles are so tight, it's impossible to digest food. Unfortunately the surgeon messed up and left me with a massive scar across my abdomen and the scar tissue still hurts sometimes. My most recent scar is across my neck, from an operation in 2004. I had some mystery tissue build up in a saliva gland so the doctors excised it by cutting my neck open - right next to my jugular.

4) I'm a bit of a computer geek. I love researching the 'net and I have a passion for retro-gaming - i.e. computers and consoles from the '80s and early '90s. My Spectrum is my pride and joy.

5) I haunt libraries, charity shops and car boot sales. These places are a second home for me :^P (Sorry, couldn't really think of a good one).

Cheers

20 comments:

Sue aka MsCreativity said...

Hmm... I didn't know where to go to tag Gray, so I'm doing it here - Gray, you've been tagged!! (Yes, I could have 'told' him, but as with everything else he'd only 'forget' - some things with guys are just universal ;-))
Sue :-)

Karen Erickson said...

You and Sharon both tagged me so I guess I'd better do it, lol!

Okay, gotta go think about what I know. Hmmmmmmmm..........

Stacy Dawn said...

That's awesome!!

I'll put mine up next week then follow all the links back and store the info in a personal file for me to.


What an awesome idea!!

Sharon J said...

Some useful stuff there, Sue. And what a good idea to put a call out for midwives and doctors :-)

I've made a page on my blog where I'm listing everybody who's contributed to this. If you come across anybody who isn't on the list, please let me know.

Helen said...

That was an interesting list. I'm sorry to hear about you having Multiple Sclerosis, and what happened after the birth of your first child. That type of situation makes me say: "Thank goodness we're living now, not 100 years ago!"

I'm not a doctor or midwife, but I do have a nightmare horror birth story I could share! I haven't put it on my blog because I don't want to scare anyone...

Sue aka MsCreativity said...

Oops, sorry Karen!

Stacy, I'm looking forward to reading your list.

Sharon, thanks for making a list on your blog - that'll be very useful.

Hi Helen, sorry to hear that you've had a horror birth experience, but thanks for your willingness to share it!

Sue :-)

sink sink socks said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Courtney said...

Hi there - I am Courtney - Jeanne's cousin from Canada and keep up with her blog - and now Sharon's because it's always an interesting read. (That's how I got here! I love the tagging idea!) I was wondering if you could elaborate a bit on your final point? I'm intrigued.

April said...

Oh no... now I have to remember what I've done with my life... That may take me a day or two ;-)

Sue aka MsCreativity said...

Hi Courtney,
Thanks for visiting my blog. Hmm... how to elaborate without going into a rant?! I'll try to keep my explanation brief, but feel free to email me.
Basically I'm a Christian who follows Jesus and believes in the Holy Trinity and an all loving, living God. As a Christian I don't believe I have the right to judge other people. Christianity is, for me, all about free will and coming to Jesus through choice. Religion on the other hand often involves people being judged (on a human level), and being told what they should and shouldn't do. People are made to feel guilty and a 'bad' person if they don't meet that religion's(or church's) expectations.
I've gone through many not so nice experiences in my life, divorce and ill health being two of them. There are church going Christians who believe it is their right to judge other people, and who might even say that divorce makes me unable to be a Christian. I've even been told that ill health is God's punishment and it is lack of faith that keeps me ill!
I could go on and on because it makes me feel very angry when I see the damage some people do to the reputation of Christianity.
I try not to judge these other Christians, because it is their choice how they live their lives. However, I choose not to be part of their version of Christianity and I follow Jesus, who is in my heart, and His Word.
I have to say that I've found two good churches in my locality whose priority is to follow Jesus, and who do not take it upon themselves to damn others to hell...
Oops, I've gone on a bit. Apologies for this. Like I say feel free to email me anytime.
Sue :-)

Sue aka MsCreativity said...

LOL April, I'm looking forward to reading your list!
Sue :-)

Melissa Marsh said...

Cool idea! I will do this one tomorrow. :-)

Sharon J said...

Sue. I've heard similar things, especially related to my son. In fact, I think I might feel a blog coming on!

Caroline said...

Fantastic! You did the list too.
I love that I knew absolutely nothing about you and now I am blown away.
Go girl!
Cx

Courtney said...

Thanks! I struggled with the same issues and finally found a church that seems to say what I believe. At least so far!!!I think it's so important to find like, supportive communities - whether they be religious or otherwise (your writing community is the same thing).

Nicole Reising said...

This is fabulous! Thanks for sharing!

Cole

Sharon J said...

Why has Gray not posted his list yet?

C'mon Gray... we're all waiting here!

Gray said...

Hello Guys,

Apologies for the delay in responding - I've been ill in bed since the weekend before last (yes, I know, no excuse but...).

Here are my five things:

1) I'm a collector. Films and books are my weakness. Our home is overflowing with bookshelves and books, the tattier the better. I've watched about 3000 movies over the past decade and I still have 300 sitting here unwatched. I guess it goes without saying that I have an encyclopaedic knowledge of movies and books - usually the trashy ones.

2) I have a good understanding of what it's like to live with somebody with a disability. My father suffers from clinical depression (and has done since before I was born) and both my mother and Sue have M.S.

3) I'm no stranger to the operating theatre - I bear three scars from fairly major operations. The worst of these is from when I had something called pyloric stenosis as a baby - where the stomach muscles are so tight, it's impossible to digest food. Unfortunately the surgeon messed up and left me with a massive scar across my abdomen and the scar tissue still hurts sometimes. My most recent scar is across my neck, from an operation in 2004. I had some mystery tissue build up in a saliva gland so the doctors excised it by cutting my neck open - right next to my jugular.

4) I'm a bit of a computer geek. I love researching the 'net and I have a passion for retro-gaming - i.e. computers and consoles from the '80s and early '90s. My Spectrum is my pride and joy.

5) I haunt libraries, charity shops and car boot sales. These places are a second home for me :^P (Sorry, couldn't really think of a good one).

Cheers

Sharon J said...

Hi Gray. Thanks for taking part :-)

I love libraries, charity shops and car boot sales, too. When we arrived here to spend a month at my in-law's, I thought I'd run out of books to read. After visiting a couple of village coffee shops offering a selection of used books and car boot sale, I'm now wondering how I'm ever going to find the time to read them all :-)

I'm sure the scars thing will be useful to writely people even though I'm sure you could have done without them.

Anonymous said...

Hi all! Help homeless children!
buy phentermine online
G'night