~ Join us on a journey of passion and adventure ~

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

ROLLERCOASTER

Just when I think I'm used to my life being a rollercoaster because of my health, it knocks me down again. The good news is I'm rarely kept down for long, and true to form I'm slowly climbing back up again.

My laptop has broken (again), and guess who forgot to email herself the last draft of her w-i-p?! Good comes out of everything though, right? Time away from my writing has helped me face up to a dilemma that I've been trying to ignore for some time: Should I really be writing a Medical right now?

These doubts have become stronger since I've finished my competition entry. While I didn't find it 'easy', I thoroughly enjoyed writing from an emotional perspective. An emotional scene without the backdrop of a medical setting.

We're getting close to the end of the year, and in a chat with Gray, it suddenly hit me that I've been quite ill in one way or another for most of it. Is it any wonder that I'm hitting problems whenever I try to write the medical bits?

Something has begun to dawn on me, maybe I'm a little too close in my 'real-life' right now to be able to face writing Medical? While I want to create the fab doctors that are sadly more often than not missing in real-life, maybe now isn't the right time for me to do so? I need some escapism from hospitals, doctors, and health issues.

I then began thinking about what I've been reading. Medicals? No. Tender/Romance and Modern Extras? Yes. Why am I reading these? For the sheer pleasure and enjoyment, and ESCAPISM.

But, I've come so far with telling Matt & Kate's story, what should I do? In desperation, having gone round and round in my head with it, I posted on an eHarlequin message board. With thanks to all the wonderful people who gave me their thoughts and insight, I'm now clearer about what I should do. Here's my revised plan:

1. I am NOT ditching Matt & Kate. I AM going to finish their story. However, I'm not going to write any more medical scenes. I'm going to focus on their relationship/romance without worrying about the word count.

2. I'm going to put this story to one side and brew and plan my next w-i-p with a major difference: It's going to be a Romance and not a Medical.

3. When I've finished this next first draft, I'll go back to Matt & Kate's story. Can I move them into a Romance setting? Or are they still too much like medical professionals? If they are happy to change their setting I'm going to rewrite it. If, as I suspect, they can't move their careers, I'm going to leave them again.

4. I'm going to remain focused on writing for the Romance line. Then, if and when I carve my dream career with HMB, I may at some 'healthier' time in the future revisit Kate & Matt in their medical setting...

5. Lastly, I'm going to stop creating dilemmas! I'm going to get on with the joy of reading and writing. I'm going to go wherever my heart takes me, because this is where my strength will lie.

Thanks, as always, for listening.

9 comments:

Melissa Marsh said...

Sue, I think this is the right decision. I've had lots of ups and downs with my health this year too (diagnosed with diabets in February) and the last thing I want to do is immerse myself in the medical world. I can understand why you wouldn't want to, either.

I think you've got a great plan. Go for it! (And hope the laptop gets fixed SOON!)

Caroline said...

Sounds like a great plan to me. You are so very focused, an inspiration :-)
Hope the laptop is fixed soon - I spilled a glass of wine over mine last year and lost everything. I still have nightmares about it. But the novel that I lost wasn't Adam, it was something else. I saw it as 'a sign.' And then came Adam!

Cx

Anonymous said...

Sue, great plan. Especially number 5. Sometimes you've just got to follow the bouncing ball and see where it may lead. And remember that nothing is ever wasted, you're learning and moving closer to your goal all the time. Go you!

Sharon J said...

I'll say what I always say. As long as you're enjoying what you're doing, that's the only thing that really matters.

I couldn't read/write Medicals because I DO think they're 'too close to home' so stick with the Romance line when reading/writing HMB. But we're all different and I know of at least one person writing Meds because it's close to home and therefore something she feels she knows plenty about and can relate with.

As long as you're happy writing, that'll reflect in the finished product. It always does :-)

Jessica Raymond said...

Hear, hear -- and hear, hear again! This is a great frame of mind to be in for your writing just before the start of a new year :)

Jess x

Karen Erickson said...

I think you're doing the right thing, and you're being very logical about it too, which is good. :)

And I wish you luck and fun with the new wip! Writing escapism might be just what you need.

Bailey Stewart said...

They say to write what you know, but sometimes that's too hard for the present situation. You've made some sound decisions there. Sharon J. is correct, if you're enjoying what you're doing, it shows. Good luck with it.

I'll also be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Annie said...

Go with your heart, Sue, every time. But - keep notes on your own medical experiences - then, if/when you return to writing a medical, you'll have all that research to hand. Good luck!

April said...

I think you're right on! I read and write for escapism too. Everyone asks why I don't write a character who does what I do for a living and I think... how is that getting away from my day? The nice thing is if you want to go back, you always can anytime you want! Good luck!