~ Join us on a journey of passion and adventure ~

Friday, January 05, 2007

To Review or Not Review?

I've been giving myself a hard time, and I don't know what to do.

Honesty is important to me. I loathe lies and insincerity, but sometimes I wish I could lie about my true feelings towards issues or people. The sad fact is, I can't.

I started the review blog with a promise to review every book I read with honesty. I knew it wouldn't be easy because I follow Thumper's Mum's philosophy (from Bambi) "If you ain't got nothing nice to say, don't say nothing at all". I've recently read a book that, imho, could've been more enjoyable than it was. I so wanted to love it, or at least be able to tell fibs about it and pretend that I loved it, but I can't.

Had I just been a normal 'reader' it probably wouldn't bother me as much. But I'm a writer, albeit an unpublished one, and I know how much criticism can hurt. Although, having said that, I crave criticism on my writing. Even if I become published in the future I'll still want to know what people don't like so much, so that I can grow as a writer.

I'm also aware that as with any creative process, opinion is subjective. If one person finds things they don't like about a book/painting/film/play etc. that doesn't make it a 'bad' piece of work. If I hear/read 'bad' reviews I'm even more inclined to read/watch something so I can make my own mind up. I love nothing more than to disagree with a reviewer!!

I've thought long and hard about whether I should forget about posting my reviews, especially as I may even meet the authors of some of the books in the future. One thing I know for certain is that every opinion/review I voice on a blog isn't a personal attack on the author. I may be the best of friends with somebody in 'real' life, but does that mean I have to automatically assume I'll LOVE their work and vice versa? No.

0 comments: