~ Join us on a journey of passion and adventure ~

Friday, February 16, 2007

'Coming Out'

I didn' t know/plan that I was going to write this post. I don't want to make anybody feel awkward or sorry for me. That is never my intention.

From next week life is going to start getting good again. Instead of letting life pass me by as it so often has over the past seven years, I'm no longer going to let my health stop me from getting out and about in the 'real' world.

From next week I will be in a wheelchair every time I venture outside the front door. I'm still in the fortunate position of not needing a hoist to get in/out of the car or wheelchair (so long as I have Gray or my walking stick that is). I'm going to make the most of it because I never know when that situation will change.

I've been using a manual wheelchair from time to time over the past year (with a lot of reluctance). The chair I have coming next week will be electric and one I can use independently whenever I'm able.

The difference this will make is amazing.
  • For example: This year I joined the RNA's NWS. Now there's a real chance I'll be able to attend conferences...
And, can you imagine...
  • when I go to the theatre in future I won't have to suffer pain/discomfort every time somebody in my row needs to move...
  • remember the Bon Jovi concert I missed last summer? It won't matter to me any more whether they're at a stadium with seats, because no matter where they are I'll have somewhere to sit... (any one know when their next UK tour's planned for?)
  • And, I won't even be so angry when Patrick Swayze stands me up because it will only have cost me financially and not physically...
the list really is endless.

So, as you can see, there's an awful lot for Gray and I to look forward to. But the best bit for me as a writer will be just being able to get out and about frequently and soak up different things to keep my inspiration flowing. When I get stuck on my wip (which we all know will be often), I'll be able to go for a 'walk' and clear my head...

Believe me, I really can't wait!

Sue :-)

5 comments:

Jessica Raymond said...

This is such a great step, Sue, and I'm so happy for you. Don't forget that when you re-book to see Bon Jovi, not only will you always have somewhere to sit but it will very likely by right up at the front!!

Jess x

Margaret McDonagh said...

I am so pleased for you - and really proud of you. I hope it opens up a whole new world. Best wishes to you and to Gray.

Sorry, I know I owe you an email! I've not forgotten. Just a bit inundated. Will write asap.

Love,
Mags

Melissa Marsh said...

You have such a wonderful, positive attitude! Good for you!

Stacy Dawn said...

Good for you. It can't be easy but chosing adventure is bound to lift your spirits and inspire a wealth of new experiences for you!!

Sharon J said...

Way to go, Sue!! You're so right in your decision - this is the one life we can be sure of and regardless of whether there's anything else beyond, I'm absolutely certain that we're meant to come through adversity and use the strength we've been given to get as much out of live as possible.

(PS: I know all about that having to move at the theatre/cinema thing! Pain in the bum, isn't it?)