~ Join us on a journey of passion and adventure ~

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Illustrating my point.

I am SO excited right now.

The other day I had not one but TWO ideas for additional writing projects. The genre is so very different from my current wip that I'm hoping to have both projects on the go at the same time.

I'll be revisiting my old love for writing children's stories. But, although this excites me, it's my next bit of news that I find VERY exciting.

My DD is creative too. She could have been going off to University this September but she'd already decided to take an extra year of A-Levels so she could study more subjects. She planned to go off to Uni in 2008 armed with A-Levels in (edited) Fine Art, Eng Lang, Eng Lit, Media Studies, Graphic Design, and an AS-Level in Photography, Philosophy and another subject yet to be determined.

Her aspirations have always been to take a degree in Film Studies and Creative Writing - she wants to be a film director. Now, however, she has had a re-think of the road she is going to take to get to where she wants to be.

She isn't going off to Uni in 2008 because she has decided to go to Art College for a year to get a Foundation Diploma in Art & Design. Then (and this is where my excitement comes in), she is going to go to Uni to get a degree in Illustration (and this will also encompass her other artistic interests).

I can't begin to tell you how proud I am of her. It isn't easy with all the peer pressure to do what you know in the long term is best for your future career. Her friends are going to be going off to Uni later this year, and others will follow next year. But my DD is holding back for yet another year. She will be 20 years old (eeek!!) by the time she enters University and this alone is quite a scary prospect for her. In her eyes, compared to all the other students, she'll be old!

I'm thrilled to bits with her decision, not least because it means I get to keep her at home for an extra year!

Going back to my other writing projects of children's stories, DD & I are now also working collaboratively on one of them - she's going to do the illustrations!

I am thrilled to bits to live in such a creative household. My DS has also formed a rock band with his mates...!

8 comments:

Caroline said...

Sounds like you've got a very focused DD. You're lucky to have so much love around you.
xx

Anonymous said...

you forgot that i'll also have an A level in Fine Art!!! How rude?!!!

Sue aka MsCreativity :-) said...

ROFLOL!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my... how did you find your way here? :-O/:-P

Jessica Raymond said...

MsCreativity's family obviously lives up to their name! Congratulations to DD on making the decision and not just going with the flow. I won a place at uni, got the results, and was two months away from starting when I decided to withdraw because it just didn't feel right and I was only doing it because everybody else was. I don't regret it at all.

Jess x

Sue aka MsCreativity :-) said...

Thanks for stopping by Caroline.

Jess, thanks for sharing your uni decision experience (the same thing happened to Gray too).

Love,
Sue :-)

Melissa Marsh said...

That is going to be SO MUCH FUN. Wow. To get to write the book and have your daughter illustrate it - wonderful!

Sharon J said...

What a wonderful family you have, Sue. My younger daughter's studying photography at college at the moment, with a view to continuing with photography and criminology at uni (she's considering crime scene photography). The older one's doing a foundation course in Art & Design too, so there are definite similarities in our families :-)

Good luck with the children's story. I've a feeling that's an
area where you could reall excel.

PS: My youngest also says "how rude"... LOL

Sue aka MsCreativity :-) said...

Melissa, I'm hoping it's going to be lots of fun. I'm not even going to worry about trying to get it published if/when we're finished, so there's no pressure at all :-D.

Sharon what year at college is your youngest in? And how's your older daughter finding the foundation course?

Isn't it amazing how many things we have in common?!!!

Sue :-)