~ Join us on a journey of passion and adventure ~

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

I Learned Something Today...

... The Story of an Aspiring Romance Writer (or two) is over one YEAR old and I never even noticed!!! On its birthday (Tuesday 18th April) I suspect I was too busy enjoying (not!) my second MS relapse of 2007!

Back on my first day's blogging in September 2006 I said:

‘‘I don't even know whether I can complete a whole novel.
The good news for everyone else is that I believe if you can see me struggle, little by little, word by word, and eventually finish it, it will motivate you to give it a go
too.
’’
Well, what can I say? I wasn't exaggerating when I said the word struggle, was I?!!

Okay, so I STILL haven't finished a complete manuscript.

Am I disappointed? In a word,

NO!

How can I be?
I'm still TRYING
and
I haven't given up.

I believe that everything happens for a reason, and that there is a right time for everything. With the benefit of retrospect I can now see that there's no way I'd have been ready to make it with my writing last year, or even this year. As for next year, I don't even want to think that far ahead!

I may not make it for a long time yet, but one thing I know for sure is that I'm having heaps of FUN trying - and I'm no longer in a rush. It's more important to enjoy the journey, because who knows what's around the corner (i.e. real deadlines and pressure..?).

If you too are struggling please don't be tempted to give up. Take a break frequently and don't ever feel like you're failing.

ALWAYS remember one thing:

NEVER GIVE UP

you WE

CAN do it!

4 comments:

ollie1976 said...

Happy Belated Birthday/Blogiversary!
-Jen

Kate Walker said...

Hi Sue

It's like the answer to the question 'when should I give up trying to be a writer and admit that I am never going to make it' - the answer is when/if you can.

A real writer just can't give up no matter what rejections or problems stand in their way. A real writer may sadly never be published but as long as they are enjoying the journey that is what matters.

It was great to meet you and Gray and lovely to know that you went home inspired and determined.

Keep going - this writing thing is never a quck sprint but a steady, determined marathon that I wish you the strength and the determination to complete

Good luck!

Kate

Sue aka MsCreativity said...

Jen, thanks for stopping by!

Hi Kate,

You are so right. Over the years (and the last time was just 3 months ago), I tried to give up writing. The real problem is that I don't have a choice! My life would be an awful lot easier if I were able to, but probably not as happy.

The main lesson I've learnt to date is to accept (and believe) that I am a writer, and from now onwards I'm going to enjoy every second of the journey.

It was lovely to finally meet you at the weekend, and the whole experience has given me the confidence to be who I am - a writer!

Thanks again. :-)

Julie Cohen said...

Yup...it's the journey that matters. If you can't enjoy the journey and the writing for itself, then you'll have real problems once you're published.

Happy blogiversary and keep on struggling.