~ Join us on a journey of passion and adventure ~

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

My New Discovery

Yes I know, I'm slo-ow BUT better late than never, right?

I have discovered something to enjoy an afternoon cuppa with and it costs less than the price of a weekly magazine! It's the Harlequin Mini story - shorter on pages without skimping on the quality of the romance - what could be better?

In the past I have shied away from reading eBooks mainly because of the dizziness/vertigo and double vision problems I experience on a day to day basis. So, what's changed? In a word nothing! I guess it's a sign that I've learnt how to 'normalise' my condition. And, since learning that my vision problems are here to stay, I've been looking for additional ways to read.

While for the past year I have subscribed to Audible, I have to confess that I often fall asleep to my lovely pink iPod! This means it takes me even longer to listen to a book than read one (unless it's a ridiculously funny book like Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic series), and that is not what I call progress! Falling asleep can, of course, be a good thing when listening to a relaxation book such as Eckhart Tolle . Although perhaps Gray won't agree seeing as there've been many times he's needed to untangle me from said ipod before it's strangled me!


So, where was I? Oh yes, discovering new-to-me ebooks. Well, I was brave enough to download my first from the eHarlequin site yesterday. The first book to tempt me was Karen Templeton's (how great is it that all the Silhouette books and others that aren't so easy to find in the UK, are suddenly there waiting for a simple click). Imagine my surprise when I discovered that I could download with Adobe which means not only can I enlarge the text to make it easier for my poor eyes, but I can add notes too! Wow, no, I mean W-O-W! As somebody with an awful memory, who is also discovering that writing reviews is becoming a hobby, this is FANTASTIC! Okay, I should probably point out that reading on my laptop doesn't make me a faster reader, but it means that when I've earned (or *cough*not*cough*) a break from my wip I can reward myself with a ten-minute read. But what's more, it's a read of a book which is not only cheaper, but has no delivery charge! *dropping voice to a whisper* which means that one day I might be able to put one of those new reader thingies on my birthday/Christmas wish list *clears throat*.

Right, anyway, what I was blogging to tell you about is that I have my first ever eBook review


3 comments:

Sharon J said...

Nope. Anything I have to read in Adobe drives me mad! Just give me an old-fashioned book that I can pop in my hand-bag - nothing else will ever be good enough.

Glad you've found something you enjoy though. But tell me, do you really NEVER tire of romance?

Sue aka MsCreativity said...

Sharon, in a word, no! I love, love, LOVE romance! However, romance isn't all I read - I often have other books on the go as well. For example right now I'm reading an Alexander McCall Smith, a how-to book on punctuation, my OU studies coursebooks, a romance written by a friend, and Eckhart Tolle to relax/get me to sleep!

I guess I just can't get enough of books/stories in all formats! I've also found that I'm reading loads more on my laptop - daily articles/blogs that come to my Inbox, forums etc.

Not sure what's happening at the moment, but I'm loving both the reading and writing in equal measure and never want it to stop!

Love,
Sue xx

Melissa Marsh said...

I'm so glad you discovered this, Sue! And even better, you're enjoying it to pieces. :-)