~ Join us on a journey of passion and adventure ~

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

What are YOU reading?

Jess has tagged me:
1. Pick up the nearest book.
2. Open it to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.

4. Post the next three sentences.

5. Tag five people and post a comment to the person who tagged you once you've posted your three sentences.
As is often the way with me, I make things complicated! I created a dilemma for myself because the nearest book to me was *cringe* my own that I'm polishing for the NWS. So, here it is:

At various times during the week he’d tried to approach her, concerned about her wan, lack-lustre complexion. But Beth had met each attempt with cold rejection. She’d made it clear that Josh’s help was the last thing she needed. Or wanted.

Now, for a REAL book - the one I'm reading at the moment. For the first time in ages, I've had an urge to read a new-to-me Jane Austen novel. A film on TV a couple of weeks ago Miss Austen Regrets, pulled me in and I was hooked by the portrayal of Jane's character. It showed her writerly thoughts, and was set during the time she was writing Emma. As soon as the film ended (after putting a spontaneous order in to Play to order my own copy of the DVD) I went straight to the bookcase to find the book itself, which I'm almost ashamed to admit I've never read, despite having owned all Austen's works for years.
The weather was most favourable for her ; though Christmas Day, she could not go to church. Mr. Woodhouse would have been miserable had his daughter attempted it, and she was therefore safe from either exciting or receiving unpleasant and most unsuitable ideas. The ground covered with snow, and the atmosphere in that unsettled state between frost and thaw, which is of all others the most unfriendly for exercise, every morning beginning in rain or snow, and every evening setting in to freeze, she was for many days a most honourable prisoner.





I'm LOVING this story. For me, Miss Austen Regrets has shown me just who Jane Austen was, not only as a writer but as a woman living in Regency times. As I read Emma I'm recognising traits that most likely reflect those of Jane herself. I now feel a hunger for learning all things Jane Austen, and I'm looking forward to reading all her other novels that are waiting for me on my bookcase.

I'm not going to tag five other people because I've been out of 'the loop' in Blog World for far too long. If, by some miracle [vbg], there is anybody reading this please consider yourself tagged!


~ Sue ~






1 comments:

Antoinette said...

What a coincidence Sue! I saw Miss Austen Regrets on TV just a few weeks ago. I was intrigued by the story! I felt sorry for her, so much pain inside, such a promise, if only she had been a man or lived in another age! Lucky you who don't need to ask a family member to negotiate with a publisher! :p
Gosh... you made me wonder what it is Beth doesn't want help with....

x