~ Join us on a journey of passion and adventure ~

Saturday, June 27, 2009

  • Having a family discussion about bats in the bedroom. Gray & dd think it wouldn't bother them. I (eventually) concede it would be nicer than an arachnid. This topic of conversation was a result of a recent experience that Liz Fenwick had. You can read about it here.
  • Okay, here's a question. Which is it: (British variant) to practICE or practISE? I'm confuddled. Many thanks to Rebecca Woodhead for tweeting such great examples. Rebecca says:
    1. Ice is a slippery thing, whereas ise is not a thing - so remember that practice is a thing and practise is a doing word:
    2. "The only thing Dean didn't like about piano practice was practising his scales." http://www.gcse.com/english...
    3. So the answer would be 'to practise' - I get confused about this one too. I write it down & think 'Americanism - surely'.
Thanks again, Rebecca and Julie Cohen who says:
  1. Practise is the verb, and practice is the noun/adjective. So it's:
  2. to practise the piano
  3. some piano practice
  4. a practice concert
and Judy Astley who says:

  1. Practice is a noun.
  2. Practise is verb.
  3. Same with Licence. You have a driving licence but the pub is licensed.

Thanks so much to all of you for taking the time to leave your comments. It's much appreciated.

  • Should I wait for ch10 to hit my Inbox or get on with the chores...too hot for the latter me thinks, so will practise the virtue of patience ;)

4 comments:

Julie Cohen said...

Practise is the verb, and practice is the noun/adjective. So it's:

to practise the piano
some piano practice
a practice concert

Sue aka MsCreativity said...

Sounds so simple but I always forget. Thanks, Julie!

gaelikaa said...

The practice/practise conundrum used to get me as well, but you're well informed by now. Practise being the verb. Good luck with your novels, you're doing very well.....

Sue aka MsCreativity said...

Thanks so much for stopping by with your kind words, gaelikaa.

I've visited your blog and I love it. Hope you don't mind me adding it to my side bar. :)