~ Join us on a journey of passion and adventure ~

Monday, August 10, 2009

True to the reader and true to myself?

I’ve tried many times to keep this blog about writing and my journey to publication separate from my personal life. However, I’ve been asking myself many questions these past couple of weeks, including, am I being true to my readers and true to myself?


I’ve come to the conclusion that no, I don’t think I am. Yes, this blog is about my (and Gray’s) writing journey. BUT, I/we can’t escape from the simple fact that our journey goes hand in hand in the company of living with multiple sclerosis. Therefore I should include these difficulties and acknowledge the effect they sometimes have on my road to publication. After all, if I hide this major part of my life doesn’t it mean that I’m pretending to be somebody I’m not?


I’ve worried in the past that my health difficulties could go against me in the publishing industry. But I’m not comfortable hiding these important factors from editors/agents. Surely, pretence isn’t the right basis on which to build a professional relationship?


The fact is that I’ve been a writer far longer than I’ve lived with my neurological condition. I never want the MS to control my life to the degree that I get scared of being found out. Integrity means the world to me. Anybody who matters will know that I am *not* the multiple sclerosis; I am Sue, the writer (mother, wife, etc.) who also happens to have multiple sclerosis.


I also respect that I’m not the only writer out there living with the difficulties that a health condition brings. I want to inspire other writers to never give up on their publishing dreams no matter what curve balls life throws.


So, the upshot of this post is to say that I’m still here and I’m still blogging albeit with a difference: I’m no longer hiding the ‘real’ me.


2 comments:

Judy Jarvie said...

What an inspiring and emotive post, Sue.
Writing is all about passion, determination, resilence etc. I think yours speak louder than most. Your attitude and honesty are awesome, can't wait to see your books in print (soon!) jx

Rebecca Woodhead said...

Good decision. *Applause from sidelines* :) x