~ Join us on a journey of passion and adventure ~

Monday, December 07, 2009

RNA'S NWS Report for Kate & Matt's story

It's taken a while for me to share my critique [understatement] but here's the summary from my Reader's Report (which contained six pages of gold nuggets).

OVERVIEW:
  • It's obvious you've done your homework
  • The tone, sensuality and type of story are all a great fit for M&B Romance line
This first para had me whooping with joy, particularly because the Reader felt that the story is a fit for the Romance line - my biggest fear being that it might not be suitable.
  • You have a nice writing style & I found your book easy to read with hardly any technical writing issues pulling me out of the story.
Again, this fills me with relief. The Reader then explains that 'showing, not telling', point of view and using scenes haven't been included in this report because they aren't needed.

  • You are a competent writer and you handle these matters with skill.
  • However...
and now begin the lessons to learn:
  • ...M&B Romance requires a highly emotional read...this is where your story needs further development.

By this time I'm very excited. I'm still only half way down the first page of the single-spaced critique and I know there's another six pages to go! This Reader has read my manuscript twice and on the second reading marked up the manuscript focusing on the main issues she wanted to address.

Before getting down to the nitty gritty of the book the Reader reminds me to:

  • ...be encouraged: your writing shows promise and my aim is to help you develop further...

I LOVE this Reader! She has obviously spent a lot of time on Kate & Matt's story and I'm so hungry for constructive criticism that I can't wait to read on. Instinctively I know that this is what it's all about and I'm impatient to LEARN.

So, that's where I'm at right now. The crux of my edits/revisions will be to dig even deeper into the emotional conflicts between Kate and Matt. This sounds simple but when it comes down to the actual process it's tougher than I imagined it'd be.

My plan is to get the book restructured by the New Year with the intention of re-submitting the manuscript to the NWS by Easter.

Incidentally, if any aspiring writers are wavering about whether to join the RNA's NWS I'd say

GO FOR IT!


Edited to add (thanks Louise!) please click here for info on the Romantic Novelists' Association New Writers' Scheme

2 comments:

Louise Fury said...

Congratulations. It sounds like not only did they like your story, but provided you with tons of encouragement and constrictive critique. I love that they did it. I found your blog a while ago and then lost track of you. But since your tweet, I have recently rediscovered it and look forward to reading more.
Thank you for sharing your journey.

Oh and what is RNA NWS?
Is it like RWA?

Susan Rix said...

Thanks, Louise!

RNA is the Romantic Novelists' Association and the NWS is their New Writers' Scheme. Please see here for more info.