~ Join us on a journey of passion and adventure ~

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Too little dumping!

TUESDAY

Writing: You may have noticed that my word counter hasn't increased much this morning. That's not because I haven't been working on Kate & Matt's story, but because I need to take stock of the next scenes and chapter before I get stuck in.

The NWS critique has suggested that I need to provide a little more information to show why Kate and Matt act/react the way they do. This means that I need to weave in a little more backstory [with the emphasis being on little].

A word of warning to all of us aspiring writers: A classic mistake that we sometimes make is to dump too much information too soon. I can now see that I was so conscious of avoiding this that I left out too much information [that's me, going from one extreme to another]!

Wish me luck with this guys, because I'm going to be walking a tightrope that'd be very easy to swerve off either side.

0 comments: