~ Join us on a journey of passion and adventure ~

Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Warrior's Princess

The Warrior's Princess The Warrior's Princess by Barbara Erskine


Susan's rating: 5 of 5 stars

I’ve enjoyed Barbara Erskine’s books for years and when I pick one up I know I’m in for a great read. The Warrior’s Princess went far beyond my expectations and carried on going long after I turned the last page.

Where to start without giving away spoilers? I loved Jess, the protaganist of the contemporary story in the novel. As for Eigon, the protagonist of the historical story, W-O-W!

The Warrior’s Princess is an epic read and one where you can’t help savouring every second of the journey. Erskine has an amazing gift of words that takes the reader from one century to another in a natural way. Each setting is evocative and real to the degree that the reader forgets they are witnessing a scene from the distant past. The quality of the writing is fluent and never jerks the reader from one setting to the other.

This story has, for me, an extra special ingredient that unfolds later in the story. It’s one that reaffirms my own personal beliefs and it’s a luxury and pleasure to witness them first-hand in the skilled hands of this talented author.

The Warrior’s Princess is an exciting, and at times, dark read. Both the past and the present stories are grounded in reality. Be ready for a mixture of emotions, and a box of tissues close to hand. It’s a read that’s worth the investment.


8 comments:

Cara Cooper said...

I've never tried her books, but will now put her on my 'to be read' list! It's a very difficult thing to intertwine two periods in time when writing a novel and I have an idea that I've been working on for a while. It might be worth reading this one to get me in the swing of it! Thanks.

Glynis said...

I love Barbara Erskine! Midnight is a Lonely Place and Hiding from the Light, are written about my old UK home. She lives in the area, so her knowledge comes across in the writing.

Susan Rix said...

Hi Cara, I learnt a lot from The Warrior's Princess particularly the way Barbara Erskine manages to intertwine the two periods without jerking the reader out of the story.

Wishing you all the best with your idea for the novel!

Susan Rix said...

Hi Glynis, Hiding from the Light is one of my all time favourites. I love how Barbara Erskine paints an evocative picture of all her settings. Amazing!

Suzanne Jones said...

Great review. Definitely sounds like one for my TBR pile.

Susan Rix said...

Thanks, Suzanne!

Judy Jarvie said...

Ooh I love Barbara Erskine. Child of the Phoenix is a major keeper in my house. Must get it. Thanks for recommending Sue. jx

Kay Richardson said...

I know nothing about any of this. But I will endeavour to find out. For Erskine is a good surname.