~ Join us on a journey of passion and adventure ~

Friday, June 25, 2010

The Wild Hunt The Wild Hunt by Elizabeth Chadwick


Susan's rating: 5 of 5 stars

I couldn’t resist putting on hold my other TBR book to read this story. This is a library loan that Graham snapped up and I didn’t want to lose the opportunity…

The Wild Hunt was Chadwick’s debut novel and won a Betty Trask Award (as well as a literary agent and publisher!). I’d like to share part of Chadwick’s Author’s Note because it’s great inspiration for all aspiring writers…

"…The year I won, the award was presented by H.R.H The Prince of Wales at Whitehall. This was a somewhat surreal moment for me as six months previously I had been stacking shelves at the local supermarket…”

The Wild Hunt was first published in 1990 and the copy that I’m reviewing was revised and published in 2008.

This is another great Chadwick read with the main thread of the story focusing on the romance between Judith of Ravenstow and Guyon, lord of Ledworth. The historical backdrop is in the tumultuous and often dangerous times of William Rufus and Prince Henry. I’ve always loved learning about history in the post-Conquest period and Chadwick brings it to life like no other.

Elizabeth Chadwick’s writing is, as always, superb. This is an author who manages to make every character and setting live and breathe off the page. I'm looking forward to catching up with the next story in this trilogy.





You can also read Graham's review here

2 comments:

Sarah Callejo said...

I'd already heard her books were good and you are confirming the rumour. I'll have to add it to my wish list.

Susan Rix said...

Hi Sarah, I came to Elizabeth Chadwick's books very late, reading her most recent titles first. I've loved each & every one of them and they've also turned my interest into passion for earlier historical periods - which I thank God for because it's early history that Graham & I are currently writing. : )